With the present event of the Co-Vid virus and the cancellations of lessons and dances and state convention among other public events, we are cancelling the publication of the 2020 summer issue of The Linked Squares. We will be looking forward to our next publication of our 2020 fall issue, providing the health conditions are favorable to group activities. If there is a chance that we will have a publication, we will notify all of you so your information can be published in that issue. So we will all have to be patient and wait to see what happens in the next few months. We miss so many of you, but hope that you are continuing safe measures for yourself and your families. Until you hear from us once again, God Bless and Keep You Safe.
Circulatory: May 8 and May 30 dances are cancelled.
We ask for your patience as we work through the process of refunds and closing our records. We will refund all items except shirts (Registration fee, Trail-End Dance, Tours, Round Dance Clinic, Dinner Show). Hold on to your shirts – we’re hoping to use the same theme and host an Ohio Dance Convention later this decade. You do NOT need to contact us about your refund. We will start processing refunds after April 5, 2020.
Just like the National Convention, we have incurred expenses paid out of the seed money loaned to us by the Greater Cincinnati Dance Federation. Our intent was to reimburse the Federation the seed money once the convention was over. If you would like to make a donation to help offset these expenses, it would be greatly appreciated – and we thank you in advance for your generosity!
If you choose to make a donation from your refund, you may do so on our website ohiodanceconvention.com/donation/ or by sending an email to email@example.com by Sunday, April 5, 2020. We’ll subtract your donation amount from your refund and send you the balance.
Donations may also be mailed to:
5858 Chancellor Lane
Morrow, OH 45152
The National Square Dance Convention in Washington has been cancelled.
Red Lantern March 28 Anniversary dance
Norton Grand Squares March 28 dance
Medina April 3 dance
Gnat Boxers April 4
All Caller Special April 5 dance is cancelled and will not be rescheduled.
Swiing-a-Lings All April dances.
Red Lantern All April and May dances.
To all the Cleveland Federation dancers and guests,
With the Coronavirus now being tested for and found in the state of Ohio I want to take a moment and address it concerning our dances. There has been a lot written about it from other square dancing clubs in the USA that are also dealing with the concerns for our activity. I want to encourage everyone to take as many precautions as possible and to urge our dancers to use their common sense in dealing with the virus (or any sickness for that matter).
Here are some tips that a Chicago Club has been sharing, with some additions:
Steps to Protect our Dancers
- If you have a fever, stay home. If you generally don’t feel well, STAY HOME! If you already have a compromised immune system, STAY HOME! We would rather have you rest and recover than push yourself and get worse or share it with anyone else. We would rather dance with you when you are recovered.
- Wash hands after every tip.
- Use hand sanitizer often, although soap and water washing is best. As you are no doubt aware, the supply is limited if not virtually non-existent right now. If you have your own supply, please consider bringing it with you.
- Anyone wishing to use disposable gloves is welcome to do so.
- In elevators and doorways, use your coat or gloves or a tissue to press the buttons. If you use your hands, wash them afterward. If you have to grab a door handle, follow-up with hand-washing or sanitizer.
- Avoid hugs and handshakes. Greeters, take note: No yellow rocking: just a smile and a welcoming greeting. If you wish to thank the calling and cueing staff, please do so only verbally.
- Don’t touch your face or anyone else’s face.
- Absolutely cover your coughs and sneezes, but if using your hands to cover, afterward wash thoroughly with soap and water.
- Avoid sharing mics for announcements.
At any Snack Table and Water Stations:
- Stay away from the snack table and water stations if you are coughing or sneezing.
- No double-dipping. Oooh – Gross!
- Use tongs, serving spoons, or a napkin to pick up your treat. No unprotected fingers.
- “What you touch is what you take,” so no picking through the choices with your hands before making your final selection.
- Don’t leave open cups on or near the snack table or water stations.
- Best to bring your own lidded water bottle or containers.
We are just encouraging everyone to use common sense so that we can all stay healthy. If you would not visit your elderly parents, grandparents or neighbors because you do not feel well we would appreciate it if you would stay home from dancing also.
Solo Squares March 13 dance with Ed Laudenschlager
Swing-a-lings March 14 dance.